Going to the shops, taking the kids to school, visiting friends. These are things we all do regularly, but how about on a bike?
There’s just no way I’d cycle in the city centre, and there’s no way I’d let my kids cycle there either. It’s Too dangerous. (Sandra, Leeds, Understanding walking and cycling)
Our streets are dominated by cars and people are too afraid to travel by bike. People love riding bikes with their friends and family (just look at the success of Centre Parks), however most people are not happy mixing with motor traffic on our roads and fear for their safety.
I just wish I had the courage to use my bike again, but sadly in this wacky town of crazy infrastructure that is in bad condition, and the crazy riders/motorists arguing and bickering about who cut who up I will keep the bike, regretfully in the shed. (aubreyboyce, Sheffield Forum)
We need to change how we think about our roads and transform them into inviting places where people feel safe cycling. By creating space for cycling we can improve our towns and cities, making the places we live less reliant on motor traffic and creating more space for people to enjoy.
I got my cycle out this summer to cycle to the Gym & back after 3 trips I found it too terrifying. Cycle paths start & finish anywhere. I cant understand the cycle path on Saxon road the back of Virgin Gym. (Woodyspatch, Sheffield Forum)
To do this the 6 core demands of Space for Cycling need to be delivered.
- Slowing traffic through the introduction of 20mph limits
- Removing through motor traffic from streets
- Protected space on main roads to keep people away from fast and heavy traffic
- Cycle routes in green spaces to give people shorter/quieter/alternative routes
- Space for children to cycle to school without their parents or teachers fearing for their safety
- Cycle friendly town centres, removing noisy motor traffic and creating attractive destinations
To help make this a reality please come along with your friends and family to one of the rides in 2 weeks time on 17th May. Details for the Sheffield event are here. Please take part.
You can also send a message to your councillors asked them to support by filling in this form.